G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB95-2MT, GB100MWT
International Marconi Day - 2023
BAE Systems Great Baddow
"CARS Operating GX0MWT"
Guglielmo Marconi was born on 25th April 1874. International Marconi Day is celebrated every year on the Saturday closest to his birthday. As is often the case CARS, was registered and operated as one of the 63 special 'IMD Award' stations.
Compared to last year conditions and activity were a bit lower but still busy for HF for International Marconi Day on Saturday 22nd April 2023.
CARS club call GX0MWT was registered as an official award station and operated with the kind permission of BAE Systems at Great Baddow, formerly the Marconi Research Centre.
Operators: Paul G4PVM, Keith G3WGE and Murray G6JYB, supported Andy G1GKN, Steve M0LCF and Andy G0IBN.
Stations: Three were in use, two on HF and one on VHF/UHF
- HF: Flex Radio 6600 SDR & Icom IC756 with a Hexbeam for 10-20m, dipole for 40m.
- VHF: FT7900 and a Diamond X30 for 2m.
- QSOs - 96 on HF (27 SSB & 69 CW), and 6 QSOs via the GB3DA repeater.
- DX - Most QSOs were with EU. Best DX worked was 10 JA stations on 12m, plus 3 USA and one Asiatic Russia.
- IMD - Ten other different IMD Stations:
- EI3IMD - Tramore Coastguard Tower
- G2NM - Amberley Museum
- GB0CMS - Caister Marconi Station.
- GB2GM - Poldhu ARC
- GB2IMD - Waunfawr transmitting station
- GB2NH - Tidemills Marconi suite
- GB2SJ - Souter Lighthouse (unofficial station)
- GB4IMD - Cornish ARC (IMD organizers)
- GB4LD - Lizard wireless station
- IY5PIS - Coltano Marconi station
- 2023 Award Stations List - the 63 stations inc GX0MWT
Unfortunately we didn't work 15 stations required for the IMD award. However, overall it was an enjoyable activity day and look foward to next years event.
Hexbeam Antenna and Chain Home mast (with John G8DET and Andy G1GKN)
Click here to go back to the TOP of this page.
To RETURN to the Sandford Mill Events Index - Click Here
To RETURN to CARS Home Page - Click Here