G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - May-2017
Monday evening, 7pm May 15th 2017, is the next Essex Skills Night. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX has again put a variety of activities together for this popular event (now in its fourth year). Of course, do get in touch, if you have something to offer.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. This is a FREE event and open to members, non-members and visitors - all are welcome and there's tea/coffee, too!
The provisional activities for this month’s event include:
- Contests & Logging: Dean G4WQI will be demonstrating the logging application N1MM
- RTTY: Following a request in the Skills Night Survey, Richard G7OED will be running an RTTY demo.
- EchoLink: With MB7IDA now back on-air, you can get talking around the world without HF or a DMR/D-Star handheld. Let Jim 2E0RMI explain how to get started.
- Testing, Testing: Hopefully, Mike G4NVT will be along with his new spectrum analyser for testing antennas and handhelds, VSWR testing measuring frequency and filters. If you have anything you’d like tested, please bring it along
- Skills Quiz: Some more challenging questions, courtesy of Murray G6JYB, and presented either by Chris G0IPU or Murray… just for fun
- Essex CW Club: Helping to promote and encourage the Morse mode
- Getting Started: Advice and leaflets from Essex Ham, the Raspberry Pi Zero playing the Essex Ham’s latest video, details of the online Foundation training course, plus the event’s Wi-Fi
- Callsign badges and pens: Get a callsign badge or gold-plated pen engraved while you wait
- Auction: New for May 2017, for the first time, there'll be an auction. This will be run by David M1ECC and Mike G4NVT, shortly after the quiz. They tell us that visitors are welcome to bring items on the night and you should see Mike and David on the night to discuss reserves (if any). Due to time constraints, it might not be possible to auction every item on the night, so please limit any entries to 1 or 2 items per person. David has asked that a percentage of sales go to the Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society
As always, various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham will be on hand to help with questions as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page