G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Nov-2017
Monday evening, 7pm Nov 20th 2017, is Essex Skills Night.
- But with a new slant...
Following a break over the summer this is the third of three autumn experimental events
Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX is prepping this popular event, so please do get in touch if you have something to offer.
The provisional agenda this month includes:-
- Practicals Insight: CARS Training manager Peter M0PSD will be giving 'An Insight into Foundation and Intermediate Practicals', with the possiblity of being able to be signed off on a few parts of Foundation or Intermediate Practicals...
- Foundation - Station Build, Dipole Tuning
- Intermediate - Mains Plug and Coax Connector assembly
- Slim Jims: A new item based on an old favourite - Learn how to build Slim Jims. CARS 2m Slim Jim Antenna Kits will be available The contents of the kit are illustrated below, including instructions and a jig to help make it. (Great value at just £5 - intended for home assembly, rather than on the night...)
CARS 2m Slim Jim Antenna kit
- Radio: Murray G6JYB will have more SDRs on show - from early kits to more current, so you can appreciate how they have evolved to now be a major part of modern amateur radio
- CARS: The club table will have guides, membership/training info, club clothing etc
- Getting started or upgrading?: Guidance will be on offer and now is a good time before the new exam syllabus takes effect in a years time. The next CARS exam/retake slot is on Thu Dec-7; with Foundation and Intermediate to follow in the new year
- EchoLink: Jim 2E0RMI will be explaining how to get started on Echolink and other modes.
- Badges: Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ will have their popular engraving machine for callsign badges, pens etc
- Quiz: The quiz master has been out scouting new questions - and perhaps another anagram!
- Data modes /Guides: Peter M0PSX will have a data modes demo on offer as well as other EssexHam guides/advice - and we hope to confirm other groups/attendees soon -
Note: Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
What we are looking for...
Show/tell Demos Hands-on (setting up radios, modes, construction etc) Other Local clubs giving demos/info Newer amateurs looking for answers Getting started info for would-be amateurs
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and Peter M0PSX will fit you in
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham will be on hand to help with questions as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page