G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Oct-2017
The second autumn Essex Skills Night on 16th October saw the Quiz make a welcome return and quite a few radio demos and features inc SDR and intermediate training ones. Those attending certainly found it enjoyable,
Activities this month included:-
- Radio-1: Chris G0IPU and Andy G7TKK had a demo based on the Intermediate Course radio construction project coupled with an amplifier. Whilst nominally aimed at propsective candidates all were welcome to come and see whats involved.
Chris and Andy with Intermediate Practical Demo
- Radio-2: Peter M0PSX had a demo based on SDR dongles as well as EssexHam Getting Started guides/advice
EssexHam demo and guides
- Radio-3: Murray G6JYB had the club RFSpace SDR-IQ on display - still one of the few high performance SDRs that can do whole HF bands in high resolution This was accompanied by a lower cost Elektor SDR
Murray G6JYB with demos of SDRs
- Essex CW: Regular attendees Essex CW Club were present, along with several visitors
Essex CW club - and a bit of relaxation!
- Quiz: The quiz master had returned from last months travels, with a fresh set of questions and another anagram, including...
- FT8 is proving to be a popular new mode - What does the abbreviation FT8 stand for ?
- Anagram: Ah Worse Tv !
Getting started or upgrading?: Guidance was on offer and now is a good time before the new exam syllabus takes effect in a years time. The next CARS exam/retake slot is on Thu Dec-7 with further training courses in 2018
Note: Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
What we are looking for...
Show/tell Demos Hands-on (setting up radios, modes, construction etc) Other Local clubs giving demos/info Newer amateurs looking for answers Getting started info for would-be amateurs
So future content and success is 100% down to you! ` ` (Otherwise it will be socialising without helpful radio content)
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and Peter M0PSX will fit you in
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham will be on hand to help with questions as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Next Event: Monday 20-Nov-2017
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page