G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & GB95-2MT
Essex Skills Night - Apr-2018
Monday evening, 7pm April 16th 2018, was Essex Skills Night, run and hosted by the CARS Training Team. Spring has arrived and the lighter mild evening made it another attractive/popular event to attend (from Kent as well as Essex).
- Radio: Groundbreaking SDR - Bob Tokley G4MDB was demonstrating the highly successful Icom IC-7300 HF-70MHz transceiver that the club has just acquired
David M1DCJ having a go with the new IC-7300 SDR radio
- More Radio: Chris 2E0CUU had three DV dongles including the new SharkRF openSPOT multimode hotspot. Perry M6XPD was also on hand to demo and provide advice.
Radio Demos and Advice
- Slim Jims: Slim Jims were Back! Kits were available to take home or build it on the night with supervision in the Hawkins Room. Missed it? - All equipment and tools are supplied.
VHF Slim Jim Antenna Construction
- Practicals: Skills nights are an opportunity for some training practicals. Dipole tuning with an Antenna Analyser was a particularly popular one.
Dipole Tuning Practical
- PSK31 & EchoLink: Jim Salmon 2E0RMI ran demos of PSK31 and EchoLink. He also had the background on a forthcoming Marconi centenary.
PSK 31 demo
- Membership and Course Enquiries: Pauline M6XPK ran the CARS club table to answer any questions about membership and up and coming courses - as well as club merchandise for sale.
- Badges: Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ brought their engraver for custom callsign badges etc. Ideal if you have just passed your exam, or need to engrave a trophy!
- Essex CW: Dean and his Team were present to help morse enthusiasts and anyone interested in taking it up.
- Clubs: Visitors from other Essex & Kent clubs had made it along as well, so it was a great opportunity to meet and greet
and of course...
- The Quiz: This had topical questions on Radio and IMD (inc the Q10 Anagram: Sold Firm Land). It also had a couple of unusual picture questions:-
Antenna Picture Quiz Questions
Refreshments: Tea, coffee, biccies and cake were on offer too. Our thanks to our team in the kitchen, keeping customers happy!
Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and we will fit you in.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, and other local groups/clubs will be on hand to help with questions, as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Next Event: Monday 21-May-2018
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page